Men’s Hockey: Terriers Drop Beanpot Final in Overtime

By: Jake Reiser

On Monday night, the No. 7 Boston University Terriers traveled to TD Garden to take on the No. 3 Boston College Eagles in the championship game of the 64th annual Beanpot tournament. The Terriers were looking to defend their title as 2015 champs, while the Eagles hoped to claim the title for the sixth time in seven years. It was a wild bout back and forth, but in the end, it would be Boston College taking home the title once again, the final score, 1-0 in overtime.

The first period saw BC come out blazing, at one point the shot differential between the two teams at 9-1 in favor of the Maroon and Gold. With 8:53 left in the first period, the lights that illuminate the ice suddenly dimmed and shut off, halting play. The delay lasted 35 minutes, the teams eventually returning to their respective locker rooms before enough lights came back on to satisfy the referees and teams. BU used the break to their advantage, getting some wind under their sails and leveling the ice.

“It was like an intermission,” Coach Quinn said. “We talked about a few of the things we needed to better, there was laundry list of them, guys stayed active and did what they would normally do.”

BC starter Thatcher Demko would take a puck to an awkward spot around his neck, and it seemed he would leave the game, backup Ian Milosz stretching in front of the bench. But Demko stayed in. and the game remained scoreless after one.

Special teams played a big part of the second period, with many penalties called. A scrum endued behind the BC net after Jordan Greenway skated through the crease. Greenway and Casey Fitzgerald got into a heated bout, Greenway ripping Fitzgerald’s helmet off and Fitzgerald throwing down his gloves. At the end of it all, Greenway got a 10-minute misconduct and two other minor penalties, sending the Eagles to the power play. After a healthy stretch of possession by the Terriers, coach Jerry York was forced to call his timeout with 2:36 left in the second period. Once again, it would be scoreless.

Demko would be the subject of more medical attention in the third period. Jordan Greenway came out to a breakaway and after being harassed by BC defenseman Michael Kin, went crashing into Demko and into the net. Demko stayed down for quite some time, and once again, Milosz came out to stretch, the possibility of him coming in looked even more likely. But just like before, Demko would shake it off and stay in. His play wasn’t 100% in the period, seemingly having a hard time getting up to his feet after dropping into the butterfly. Eventually, the period would end, setting up the first ever 1-0 OT final in Beanpot history.

It wouldn’t take long for the Eagles to score. Alex Tuch took a drop pass and fired one past BU starter Sean Maguire, who was screened by defenseman Doyle Somerby.

“It could’ve been 4-0 if it weren’t for Sean,” Quinn said.

Maguire said, “It’s a pro level shot. I’ve made that save 1,000 times, it’s just one that has to beat me, so good for him [Tuch].”

Maguire won the Eberly Award and the Beanpot MVP, the last time since BC goalie John Muse took both accolades in 2010.

The Terriers skate in a crucial home-and-home weekend against the UMass Lowel Riverhawks. Friday night’s puck drop is at 7:30p.m. at Agganis Arena and Saturday, they start at 7:00p.m. at Tsongas Center in Lowell.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s